This course provides an introduction to food microbiology, Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs), cleaning and sanitation, Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP), food labeling, and allergen control for food manufacturers wishing to prepare non-potentially hazardous foods in their home kitchen. The course will provide pertinent information for those starting a cottage food business.
This course is offered online ONLY. The first module of the course on TDA regulations is out of date (and being revised). The main differences are:
- NO Permit is required for manufacturing non-potentially hazardous foods in a home kitchen
- NO inspection is required of your domestic kitchen. However, it must be available for inspection if a potential food safety risk is identified
- This course is no longer a requirement for a home-based food business in TN, but is an excellent background on Good Manufacturing Practices and food safety issues.
Who Should Attend
Food entrepreneurs wishing to manufacture non-potentially hazardous foods in their home kitchen for sale to the public within the state of Tennessee.
- Previous TDA Inspection Points–now best practices since TDA does NOT permit or inspect home kitchens
- Introduction to Food Microbiology
- Cleaning and Sanitation
- Introduction to HACCP
- Product Labeling
- Allergens and Allergen Control