Dr. Molly West’s IAFP Experience

At the end of July, IAFP (International Association for Food Protection) gathered in Louisville, KY for our annual meeting. Professional Development Groups (PDGs) met on Sunday and are already brainstorming ideas for next year’s meeting in Cleveland, OH. The opening session kicked off with Dr. Barb Chamberlin from New Mexico State University’s Learning Games Lab. What was cool was seeing UT projects featured in the presentation. A project out of ALEC with GMA about outbreak education and the other was a joint project with plant science on produce irrigation. On Monday, roundtables, symposiums, technical talks, and poster sessions began. Throughout the week, I heard experts present about food safety concerns when using meal delivery services, novel teaching techniques, safety of cottage foods, outbreak updates, among many others. Personally, I think one of the best parts of IAFP is reuniting with fellow Department of Food Science alumni, who are now working all over the country, and project collaborators. While the conference was busy, it excites me to work in the field of food safety and see what accomplishments happen over the next year. I also presented a technical session on Wednesday about my dissertation research to researchers interested in food safety and epidemiology.